Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's egg-citing


Last week my uncle was in town, he came over and saw our chickens and informed us that one was laying eggs already. I wasn't so convinced since we hadn't seen any eggs yet, but since he hatches his own eggs and raises his own chickens I thought well maybe I won't argue with him. The next morning I went to let the chickens out like I always do. They roam all day on our property eating all the yummy bugs. As I walked up the path to their coop I saw a wonderful sight, a little brown egg right in my way, it must of been laid right before we tucked them in the night before. We were so excited. So all day I kept checking outside on the path, in their coop, around their coop and all over the yard. It was like Easter for 4 days I was on the hunt, and nothing!
The Internet said each hen would lay 1 egg every 24 hours so where were all my eggs? We decided to build a big fence to keep them in a manageable area and it worked we found 3 eggs yesterday. This morning before church I let the chickens out into their new pen and went inside to finish getting ready. Not more than 15 minutes later I look outside and one(Daisy) is out, so out I go to track her down. I hear her softly clucking in some bushes. I dig through and see a shiny white egg and then right behind it I see a brown egg. Then I see Daisy sitting under the bush, I pick her up and under her were 14 eggs, yes 14! So now we know where all our eggs have been hiding. After church we fixed the "holes" in the pen and clipped their wings so hopefully in the days to come we won't be hunting for any more eggs, we will just be gathering.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I would love to have fresh eggs like that!!

Lacey said...

I am so jealous, I want to have my own chickens and eggs, and a cow for beef and a huge garden and lots of citrus and fruit trees and the whole nine yards, maybe one day! Your girls are growing up and are beautiful, miss you guys!

Thomas Family said...

how exciting!

Janell said...

So cool! I think it's hilarious that they were secretly laying eggs :)