Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nana's and Papa's Texas Style


Over the 4th of July weekend while Sam was climbing MT. Rainier I whisked the kids away for some good ol' Texas fun at my parents house. My parents now live in Texas as some of you might know and they have a little ranch were they are raising cattle oh and one donkey who is about to have a baby. We flew into Austin on a Wednesday and were supposed to meet my sister and her family but they got delayed until the next day. Walking into the airport to meet them might be a normal task for the normal person but my mom likes to shake things up a bit and decided to face plant herself off the curb and breaks her foot. So begins the Craziness of the week, well maybe the craziness started when Melissa was delayed in the Durango airport for 10 hours unable to leave!! The next morning we all left for San Antonio to brave the summer heat and mass amounts of people at SEAWORLD!! The day was Hot, but full of fun. The kids enjoyed them selves but were ready to leave before we even saw Shamu that's how hot and tired they all were. The hotel swimming pool sounded much more exciting to them. After a 3 hour drive to Bryan were my parents live we finally were able to relax and go see the Ranch. My parents have completely fixed up and gutted the ranch of all the unwanted trees weeds and put up a beautiful fence and a HUGE barn. Not to mention the new toy my Dad got, his tractor!! Oh and my mom's new toy a red 4 wheeler to match my dad's tractor. Early in the morning we would go out and feed the cattle and of course give the kids 4 wheeler rides. Brooke really impressed me normally she is the princess not wanting to get dirty but around the ranch she got the buckets filled them up went to the feeding area and called the cows and fed them even with her hands, she was in her element. One evening it was me in the middle of Brooke who was in the front and my niece aspen in the back on the 4 wheeler. As I was explaining the gears and brakes Brooke grabbed the gas button and we all flipped backwards. Thankfully it did not land on us , but little aspen was under all of us and got draged a good 2 feet. I thought I killed her! Seeing her laying there-horrible- That kid had a baseball size knot behind her ear and she told me that night that she cannot forgive me:( I'm just happy she was OK.
That was the end of the Craziness thank goodness.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Shannon!! I'm so glad you updated - it was fun to read through what you have been up to!

Janell said...

Look at all the fun you've been having! I can totally see your parents living in Texas on a ranch! How long have they lived there? I'm sure they just love it. How's Melissa doing?
Loved the updates and pictures of your cute kids. I just think that profile picture of Jack in his hat is super cute!!
love ya :)